Sunday, January 24, 2010

Future plans.

I always have ideas or goals for things I will want to do, but then either forget or it just doesn't get done.

so here is a list/ explanation of things I will want to do, mostly with the house.

This our kitchen, or will be our kitchen .


This house was built in 2001 so its not old by any means, but to me the kitchen is really dated. I hate the countertops, to me they look blue and I do not like it. I don't like the light cabinets, to me its very country. I also don't like the tile flooring. Tiling flooring is still "in" I guess, I have just never been a fan.

SO. The plan.


The first thing I think will happen, hopefully within a year, is to re-stain the cabinets with a dark dark stain, and add new hardware. This should be fairly inexpensive, just very time consuming and tedious from what I have heard. Shouldn't cost more than 50-100$.

second, new counter tops. That will probably be the most expensive, depending on the kind, coming in around 2k. We will wait for a tax return to do that. If we are going for quality and not worrying too much about price, I opt for stainless steel, but if we are going for cost efficient, it will be a really light, offwhiteish color solid surface.

third, the floor. I don't when that will ever get done, even doing it ourselves, you are talking ripping up all the tile, evening out the floor, laying hardwood and finishing it off. I am assuming even if you go for hours straight, you are still looking at days of it, don't you think?

but when that all is said and done it should resemble this...
the biggest impact on the kitchen is going to be the cabinets, which luckily is way cheap to do.

the only problem I know we are going to run into is this.
Jason and I both love the dark cabinets, but Jason does not like light colored wood, and he doesn't understand that if you have dark cabinets, you HAVE to have a light floor, like seen above. If you do dark floors, it will all be waaay too dark. So, I need advice on how to convince him the light hardwood floors look great, because he wants dark.

Our kitchen is really the only part about the house I don't love, everything else fits right in line.

There is an unfinished bathroom downstairs that one day we will finish. That will be a big job, expensive and very time consuming, but for resale value it will be awesome. We are going to put in a deep jetted tub, standard toilet and counter top sink. I am pretty sure that project will come in at at least 3k. That project is years down the line, at least 5.

hmm... what else?

It already has really nice perfect carpet, so I don't think I will ever want to change that.

oh one day I want to paint the garage floor, it sounds weird but I think it looks nicer painted gray then just concrete.

in the backyard is huge cement patio for a table, BBQ, etc. but there is not cover, so Jason wants to build onto the house a covered patio. That is probably a few years down the line.

I am sure more will come to me, right now the big thing is the dang kitchen.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

House projects seem to be endless, don't they? You are so smart to have a plan and set up a timeline for getting things done. I always come up with so many ideas for our house. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to go along with those ideas ha ha. One day!

Unknown said...

Planning all of that out sounds so fun (and ever so slightly nerve wrecking, but mostly fun!) Sometimes new cabinet fixtures seem inexpensive, but by the time you add up all of you doors and drawers it can get out of hand pretty quickly - not everyone is crazy about Ikea - but they do have some really great prices on handles and other fixtures. My psuedo mother in law recently renovated your kitchen - it looks quite similar to the one in your picture - she did a great deal of it through Ikea.

Have you ever checked out concrete countertops? I love the look of them in kitchens styled like the one in your photo. You can seal them in gray or stain them in different colors.
Also - you should investigate concrete/cement staining for your garage! I'm not sure what the price is like, but I worked at a coffee shop where the cement floors were stained a really pretty coppery color and I've seen it done red someplace else - I love it!

The Hicks Family said...

Hey, just so you know.. if you do the wood floors with the padding underneath.. my parents did it.. you really don't have to rip out anything.. you Can lay it right over top...the padding hides everything..:) also for the counters..there is a really cute paint style you can do and seal onto it for actually pretty cheap.. just a few suggestions :) so cute.. im excited for you.. houses are so fun to create into a home! :) Good luck! :)

Kourtney said...

I hope everything goes the way you plan! It will look great!