Sunday, February 14, 2010

window seat

Alright.

I need to document our home plans somewhere, so I don't forget and have a place to reference.

This is the place.

Well. We have big simple plans for the kitchen.
I have been told by numerous people to leave the tiled floor alone. Depending on how it all looks in the end, I may.

We are painting the cabinets. I wanted to stain them because I thought it would look nicer and have better resell value, but then I got some advice that there is no difference in resell value and staining is a lot easier to mess up and have it show. So we are painting them a brown/black. Hopefully soon, like within a month. :)

Then we are tiling the counter tops with granite tiles. This, from what I have heard, is going to be a big project. Luckily my dad knows exactly what he is doing, and so does Jason's brother so I am hoping with their help we can get it done in a couple days, probably in the summer.
Then when that is done, we will be adding a stainless steel back splash like this one. Normally this would cost a lot, but we got a tip on where to get it for a couple hundred so I am pretty stoked about that, if I decide thats what I want. There is still a huge part of me that would rather do one like this. Jason is worried it would get dated and old fast, so we will see.

One day, maybe next year, I want to build a window seat in the front room. Like this one.

To go here.


This window is just crying for a window seat. The window goes down too low to put a console table, and that would be weird to put a chair, so a window seat is it! I have dreams of our kids jumping on the window seat waiting for dad to come home. :D
well, we got the house today! Keys and all.
Its ours.
We will be taping, painting, cleaning and whatever else until its done.
Then we will be packing, moving, unloading and unpacking until its all done.
Then I will have a house. a home.
Ah.
Then we will be buying couches for my front room, which I am all too excited about. :)
I will post on that when they come.
I am a home-owner. Weird.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! For me it felt so unreal for the first few days - like even though we had the keys and papers someone could change their mind and snatch it all back :)

I love the idea of stainless steel backsplash - I can't imagine anything easier to clean up. If the sheet metal is thin then if its not installed properly any little buckle or wave in the metal will show - we have a stainless steel cable railing leading down our stairs and I feel like they got lazy installing it - when the light hits it there are a few visible gap areas.

Great idea painting right away - I wish we'd have done that before we got settled in. Its been 7 months and we've yet to even purchase a roll of painter's tape.

Enjoy your new home and all the projects that come with it!! :)

Hailey said...

I am so excited for you!

Jenny said...

i <3 window seats.

Megan said...

I love all your ideas and can't wait to see the finished projects. How are you going to deal with the heat vent when you build the window seat? I can't wait to see it.

Whit said...

Window seats are awesome I LOVE them and it would be perfect for that spot!