Tuesday, August 31, 2010

more traditions.

If you remember from here, I have a list of traditions I want to have in my own family.

I need to document some more. :)
St Pattys day.
Honestly I don't know why we celebrate this holiday in America, other then the overwhelming need America has for a good reason to get drunk.
But, none the less, I love a good chance to celebrate. :)
So in my house, with my kids, St Pattys day will be a holiday we use to celebrate different nationalities, of course mainly Irish.
I worked in a daycare in high school, and we did something there with the kids that I always wanted to do with my own kids because it was so dang cute and the kids absolutely loved it.

We took the kids outside to the park, and the teachers that stayed behind would create a leprechaun attack. How? simple, they just knocked over the chairs, threw papers everywhere, got the blankets all over the place etc. But then they painted little green leprechaun footprints everywhere, with washable paint obviously, on the tables, windows, fridge etc. and left little piles of chocolate gold coins everywhere for the kids. When the kids got back in and saw the chaos we gave them shocked faces and explained that leprechauns had come in while we were gone, and left gold coins everywhere on accident. They absolutely loved it. They were so excited for the whole day and couldn't wait to tell their parents. I plan on doing this every st pattys day with my kids.

Here are the footprints. :)
You make them with your hands, obviously.


(By the way, these foot/hand prints were totally made by me. in my kitchen. see thats my ugly blue counter tops.)

Green things. Obviously you have to wear green, but I think its fun to make green foods, and make the whole day green.
for dessert after dinner, making a cake with green frosting and then making a rainbow on it made with m&m's.

Easter!
Clearly, decorating eggs is a tradition that you are crazy if you don't do. Jason and I even did it this year.
See?

Of course they will be hidden somewhere in our house.
a new easter outfit will be needed for each kid obviously.

One thing my mom did that I thought was fun and I didn't realize she did this until I grew up, was we got gifts on easter, but they were almost always gifts that we had to use together. Like games or something that required us to play together and have fun. So it was nice, we didnt just get our gifts and run off to our rooms to play by ourselves, we played with each other for hours.
I am up for extra ideas and fun traditions so if you have any that you have enjoyed with your family, tell me about it!
(P.S. I wrote this post back in April, but apparently never posted it, I just came across it today so now it is posted. buwahahaha)

2 comments:

Ben & Kelsey said...

That is such a cute idea I love it. I remember on teacher doing that in Elementary and I thought it was so cool. I love family traditions as well and I am going to do similar things as well. My favorite is the 4th of July. We have a big family bbq and do our own little carnival for the little kids. The kids just love it.

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make Green Eggs and Ham for us on St. Patrick's Day.

I'm looking forward to Sarah being old enough to help make holiday dinners, because I LOVED that growing up.